Monday, January 21, 2013

SPs Part II

Quick update on the SP from last week. Nailed the diagnosis. Lucked out. I always feel like I luck out. Maybe I need to learn to give myself more credit. OK I am just that good. Hehehe.

I'm sure they're just starting us off easy but overall, it was actually, dare I say it, fun :) All those repetitive, draining SP encounters during H&P are paying off. Felt like I had a mystery to solve, and it was really cool to be able to say to a patient for the first time, "I think you have _____, and I'll prescribe you ____ which should take care of it." Then, after feeling on top of the world, this happens:

I debated whether or not I should post this but the message I'm trying to drive home is that PA school is great and making you feel average. Can't let it get to you. Above is how my standardized patient rated me. Our PARS scores don't really affect our grade - they're for our reference, and if anything alarming shows up, your advisor will sit down with you and address it. They explain to the SPs to rate us VERY critically, which is why the scale is from 1-9 rather than, say, 1-5. You rarely get 8s and 9s. Also, every patient rates slightly differently. In general, they say to focus more on the comments on the bottom. Sometimes you walk out of the exam room like you own the place and then you get your PARS score and it's all 4s. Other times you think "Crap I blew it...," turn to look at your classmate who also just exited their exam room next to yours, the look on their face says "Yup I blew it too,"...and then you get back your scores and it's 6s and 7s.  The one that really frustrates me is "Demonstrated empathy." I mean, how many times can I say "That must be really frustrating to work through," "Oh I know it hurts, I'll try to be gentle," "I'm so sorry your posterior nasal drip is waking you up at night!" to my fake patient with a fake illness before I start sounding over-the-top fake myself?!?

Anyway, last time my focus was on getting a gauge for our new 25 minute time limit and being thorough, which I feel I accomplished. Next time...I guess I'll work on my empathy.

Leaving you with a photo of how Jeremiah organizes his tools for the comprehensive neuro exam because you really do need tubes of cinnamon water and cotton swabs snapped in half. People who sew, better start making your tool belts now:

No comments:

Post a Comment